BREEAM is the most widely used assessment method for construction projects across the UK, assessing all aspects of sustainability from design phase to practical completion.
REEAM is the Building Research Establishment’s (BRE) Environmental Assessment Method. It forms an essential part of UK construction projects, meeting both planning requirements and satisfying clients’ CSR policies.
Dalen have extensive experience in delivering assessments in the commercial property market and are strongly aware of the requirements and motivations of property owners across the UK, especially with regards to retro-fits and fit-outs.
BREEAM Assessments can be carried out on both new and existing buildings, non-occupied or occupied. Assessment can be of single and multiple floored buildings, either on a whole building basis or on part of a building occupied by one tenant. Mixed-use developments can also be assessed, where there is clear delineation between commercial and other residential or bespoke spaces.
BREEAM 2008 has been superseded by BREEAM 2011, which is geared towards new construction. Refurbishment and fit-out projects are assessed under the 2008 scheme unless otherwise desired by a developer.
Updates to BREEAM include:
- Benchmarks updated in line with Building Regulations L2A
- Alignment with International Common Metric for Carbon Emissions
- Introduction of new metrics to assess smaller buildings and projects
- Additional scoring of environmental issues, including:
- Climate change adaption
- Inclusive design / Accessibility
- Carbon Negative Buildings
- Sustainable ICT
- Enhanced exemplary performance thresholds
- Consolidation of Health and Wellbeing Credits
- Generic Manual for all schemes
- All Excellent and Outstanding rated buildings to include a BREEAM In Use Assessment